When the Concacaf Gold Cup begins play in June, many of the teams in the tournament will feature talent from the United Soccer League.
Players from both of the league’s top two tiers – the Championship and League One – were included on national teams when the federation released provisional rosters on Monday. In all, there are 38 players who have played in the Championship or League One this season who were included on the provisional rosters.
Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago called up the most USL players, each including 11 on their rosters. Haiti called up eight USL players, while El Salvador had two, and Panama, Guyana, Curacao, Canada, Bermuda and the United States each called up one.
Andrew Gutman was the lone U.S. call-up for the USL. The 2018 Hermann Trophy winner signed with Scottish Premier League side Celtic FC earlier this year, but was then immediately loaned to the Charlotte Independence of the USL Championship. Gutman’s call-up marks the first time ever a player actively playing in the USL has been called up to the senior U.S. national team. Gutman has played in 11 games so far this season, scoring two goals and assisting on another.
In total, 17 Championship clubs and three League One sides had players called up. OKC Energy FC had the most players named to provisional rosters with five.
Additionally, 26 players with USL experience were also named to provisional rosters. These USL alumni include players like Tyler Adams, Maxime Crepeau, Alphonso Davies, Kevin Molino and Greg Ranjitsingh.
Here’s all the USL players who were named to provisional Gold Cup rosters:
- Bermuda – Zeiko Lewis (CHS)
- Canada – Noble Okello (TOR)
- Curacao – Michael Maria (CLT)
- Guyana – Jordan Dover (PIT)
- Haiti – Zach Herivaux (BHM), Mechack Jerome (ELP), Jems Geffrard (FRS), Christiano Francois Jr. (OTT), Derrick Etienne Jr. (NY), Bicou Bissainthe (NTX), Ronaldo Damus (NTX), Denso Ulysse (TAC)
- Jamaica – Junior Flemmings (PHX), Maalique Foster (RGV), Shaun Francis (LOU), Omar Gordon (OKC), Kevon Lambert (PHX), Jordan Scarlett (NY), Jamoi Topey (BST), Je-Vaughn Watson (OKC), Speedy Williams (LOU), Romario Williams (ATL), Rawshawn Dally (MEM)
- Panama – Ernesto Walker (LA)
- El Salvador – Joaquin Rivas (STL), Juan Barahona (SAC)
- Trinidad & Tobago – Leland Archer (CHS), Cordell Cato (OKC), Kevan Georgia (CLT), Ataulla Guerra (CHS), Neveal Hackshaw (IND), Triston Hodge (MEM), Alvin Jones (OKC), Nathan Lewis (LAN), Duane Muckette (MEM), Leston Paul (MEM), Mekeil Williams (OKC)
- United States – Andrew Gutman (CLT)