When the Concacaf Gold Cup kicks off later this month, United Soccer League fans are bound to see a few familiar faces littered across the various rosters.
Each participating country’s final 23-men rosters were made official on Thursday. And on the rosters submitted are 23 current USL Championship players and three current USL League One players.
The number of USL players participating in this Gold Cup is a massive increase from the 2017 tournament, where just six players were included.
“We are extremely proud of the players who have earned this opportunity to compete on the international stage at our region’s most important event,” USL President Jake Edwards said in a statement. “The increase in representation both in number of players selected and the wide range of teams they compete for in our professional leagues is indicative of the fast-rising level of competition and quality that can be found in the USL as a whole.”
The club with the most Gold Cup selections is OKC Energy FC, which will see four players star on the international stage in the tournament this summer. Je-Vaughn Watson will suit up for Jamaica, while Alvin Jones, Cordell Cato and Mekeil Williams will play for Trinidad & Tobago.
In all, 15 different Championship clubs and three League One sides will send players to the tournament.
Trinidad & Tobago is the country with the most USL players on its roster, calling in nine. Jamaica included eight USL talents, while Haiti called up five. Seven different countries participating in the Gold Cup called up USL players.
"It's a massive honor to represent your country, especially at such a big tournament."
— Lansing Ignite (@lansingignite) June 6, 2019
Here’s the full list of USL players set to feature in the tournament, sorted by club.
- Bethlehem Steel FC (1): Jamoi Topey (JAM)
- Birmingham Legion FC (1): Zach Herivaux (HAI)
- Charleston Battery (2): Zeiko Lewis (BER), Leland Archer (T&T)
- Charlotte Independence (2): Michael Maria (CUR), Kevan George (T&T)
- El Paso Locomotive FC (1): Mechack Jerome (HAI)
- Fresno FC (1): Jems Geffrard (HAI)
- Indy Eleven (1): Neveal Hackshaw (T&T)
- Louisville City FC (2): Shaun Francis (JAM), Devon Williams (JAM)
- Memphis 901 FC (2): Leston Paul (T&T), Duane Muckette (T&T)
- OKC Energy FC (4): Je-Vaughn Watson (JAM), Alvin Jones (T&T), Cordell Cato (T&T), Mekeil Williams (T&T)
- New York Red Bulls II (1): Derrick Etienne Jr. (HAI)
- Phoenix Rising FC (2): Junior Flemmings (JAM), Kevon Lambert (JAM)
- Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC (1): Jordan Dover (GUY)
- Reno 1868 FC (1): Brian Brown (JAM)
- Rio Grande Valley FC (1): Maalique Foster (JAM)
USL League One
- Lansing Ignite FC (1): Nathan Lewis (T&T)
- North Texas SC (1): Bicou Bissainthe (HAI)
- Toronto FC II (1): Noble Okello (CAN)