United States men’s national team head coach Gregg Berhalter announced his 40-man preliminary roster for the Concacaf Gold Cup, which runs from June 15 to July 7 in the U.S., Mexico and Costa Rica.
This year’s Gold Cup features 16 countries from across North America, Central America and the Caribbean. The U.S., which is in Group D with Panama, Guyana and Trinidad and Tobago, is the defending champion.
The preliminary roster includes 24 Major League Soccer players, plus a number of European-based players like Christian Pulisic (Chelsea), Tyler Adams (Red Bull Leipzig), Weston McKennie (Schalke 04) and Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen), whose international profiles have risen significantly in the last two years.
The final, 23-man roster is due by June 6.
U.S. preliminary roster for Concacaf Gold Cup
|GK||Guzan, Brad||Atlanta United|
|GK||Horvath, Ethan||Club Brugge|
|GK||Johnson, Sean||New York City FC|
|GK||Steffen, Zack||Columbus Crew SC|
|D||Adams, Tyler||RB Leipzig|
|D||Cannon, Reggie||FC Dallas|
|D||Carter-Vickers, Cameron||Tottenham Hotspur|
|D||Fossey, Marlon||Fulham FC|
|D||Garza, Greg||FC Cincinnati|
|D||Gonzalez, Omar||Club Atlas|
|D||Gutman, Andrew||Charlotte Independence|
|D||Lima, Nick||San Jose Earthquakes|
|D||Long, Aaron||New York Red Bulls|
|D||Lovitz, Daniel||Montreal Impact|
|D||Ream, Tim||Fulham FC|
|D||Robinson, Antonee||Wigan Athletic|
|D||Robinson, Miles||Atlanta United|
|M||Bradley, Michael||Toronto FC|
|M||Holmes, Duane||Derby County|
|M||Lletget, Sebastian||LA Galaxy|
|M||Mckennie, Weston||Schalke 04|
|M||Mihailovic, Djordje||Chicago Fire|
|M||Nagbe, Darlington||Atlanta United|
|M||Roldan, Cristian||Seattle Sounders|
|M||Trapp, Wil||Columbus Crew SC|
|F||Altidore, Jozy||Toronto FC|
|F||Amon, Jonathan||FC Nordsjælland|
|F||Arriola, Paul||D.C. United|
|F||Baird, Corey||Real Salt Lake|
|F||Boyd, Tyler||MKE Ankaragücü|
|F||Gyau, Joe||MSV Duisburg|
|F||Lewis, Jonathan||Colorado Rapids|
|F||Morris, Jordan||Seattle Sounders|
|F||Sargent, Josh||Werder Bremen|
|F||Zardes, Gyasi||Columbus Crew SC|
Additional notes, provided by U.S. Soccer:
- The Seattle Sounders, Columbus Crew, Atlanta United, and LAFC each have three players on the roster, which is tied for the most among any club team.
- Andrew Gutman who is on loan from Celtic at the Charlotte Independence, a USL Championship team, has been included on the roster.
- Potential snubs for this roster include veteran central defenders Geoff Cameron and John Brooks, plus midfielder Andrija Novakovich and goalkeeper Bill Hamid.
- Hamid said earlier this year that he believes he is better than Brad Guzan, who did make the preliminary roster.
- Tim Weah could be construed as a snub, although he is already off to a busy European offseason as he will compete at the U-20 FIFA World Cup.
- Jozy Altidore made the squad but hasn’t played in an international match since 2017.
- Full back DeAndre Yedlin will miss the tournament with a groin injury.
- In all, 78 MLS-based players have so far been named to preliminary rosters for this summer’s Gold Cup.
- The U.S. opens the tournament on June 18 against Guyana, then goes on to play Trinidad and Tobago (June 22) and Panama (June 26).