While the National Women’s Soccer League doesn’t yet have a plan in place to be on linear television for the 2019 season, one of its clubs just inked a deal locally.
The Chicago Red Stars and NBC Sports Chicago announced a broadcast partnership Wednesday that will televise each of the Red Stars’ remaining 23 regular-season games on the network.
NBC Sports Chicago’s first Red Stars telecast of the 2019 season will be the club’s home opener on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. CT against the Portland Thorns. That game, along with seven others, with air on the secondary channel, NBC Sports Chicago +.
“We are very pleased to join the NBC Sports Chicago programming lineup this season and that pro women’s sports will be on television and easy to find.” Red Stars owner Arnim Whisler said in a statement. “Our fans will now have full coverage of the Chicago Red Stars games in this great World Cup year. This is an exciting development in the right direction for our club.”
The Red Stars’ 2019 campaign is already underway. They opened on the road with a 1-1 draw against the North Carolina Courage. Australian Sam Kerr scored Chicago’s lone goal in that game and she is one of several Red Stars who will likely be playing in the World Cup in France this summer, joining Tierna Davidson, Julie Ertz and Casey Short.
In addition to broadcasting the 23 regular-season games, NBC Sports Chicago will also be the presenting partner of “Chalk Talk,” an exclusive interview with a player or coach each week that will be pushed on the Red Stars’ social media platforms. “Chalk Talk” will provide behind-the-scenes access to practices, along with insight on the upcoming game for that week.
“We look forward to showcasing the world-class talent and excitement of the Red Stars to Chicago’s passionate soccer fan base all season long,” Greg Bowman, the vice president of programming for NBC Sports Chicago, said in a statement.
One game — a July 28 contest at Regin FC — will not be aired live. It will be shown the next day on NBC Sports Chicago +.
- April 20 2:30 pm vs Portland Thorns FC NBCSCH+
- April 27 7:00 pm vs Reign FC
- May 3 8:30 pm @ Utah Royals FC NBCSCH+
- May 12 5:00 pm vs North Carolina Courage
- May 19 5:00 pm @ Houston Dash
- May 26 5:00 pm vs Washington Spirit
- June 2 5:00 pm @ Portland Thorns FC
- June 23 5:00 pm vs Reign FC
- June 30 4:00 pm @ Orlando Pride
- July 6 7:00 pm vs Sky Blue FC
- July 13 7:30 pm @ Houston Dash
- July 21 5:00 pm vs North Carolina Courage
- July 28 3:00 pm @ Reign FC (Next day delay; to air on NBCSCH+ July 29 at 7:00 p.m.)
- Aug 3 7:00 pm vs Utah Royals FC
- Aug 10 6:00 pm @ Washington Spirit NBCSCH+
- Aug 14 6:00 pm @ Sky Blue FC NBCSCH+
- Aug 21 6:30 pm vs Orlando Pride NBCSCH+
- Aug 25 2:00 pm @ Portland Thorns FC NBCSCH+
- Sept 8 5:00 pm vs Houston Dash
- Sept 11 6:30 pm @ Orlando Pride NBCSCH+
- Sept 15 4:00 pm @ Sky Blue FC
- Sept 21 7:00 pm vs Washington Spirit
- Sept 28 7:00 pm vs Utah Royals FC