Connect with us

FC Dallas

Dallas stuns New England in Foxborough

Apr 14, 2018; Foxborough, MA, USA; New England Revolution forward Teal Bunbury (10) warms up prior to a game against Dallas FC at Gillette Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Stew Milne-USA TODAY Sports

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – FC Dallas carried out a rare feat on Saturday night by taking three full points away from the New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium.

Dallas (2-0-3, nine points) stunned the Revolution (3-2-1, 10 points), 1-0, in front of 11,508 thanks to Jacori Hayes’ 76th minute goal to remain unbeaten on the young season.

This was New England’s first home defeat in 12 contests dating back to last year, a streak that held strong since a 3-2 loss to the New York Red Bulls on July 5, 2017.

Hayes scored with a hard, low shot from the center of the penalty area after receiving possession from Roland Lamah, who took control of the ball in the box after beating New England defender Andrew Farrell to a cross from Santiago Mosquera.

The finish also snapped the Revolution’s 272-minute streak of not conceding a goal.

“You just have to make your run and hope the ball finds you,” said Hayes after the game. “Sometimes you make that run multiple times and the ball doesn’t come to you, but you have to be focused for that one time the ball comes so you can put it away.

“I’m just glad [Lamah] found me in the box and that we were able to get the points. That’s a huge three points for us.”

New England’s back line looked shaky from the start, forcing goalkeeper Matt Turner into action to keep the game close.

Turner parried Cristian Colman’s header from six yards out off a Lamah cross in the 16th minute; he then denied Lamah on a breakaway in the 40th minute.

“We allowed them in a couple times and I don’t think we should’ve, no doubt,” said Revolution head coach Brad Friedel, who also lamented his team’s struggles in attack.

The Revolution out-shot Dallas 21-11 but fired wide nearly 80 percent of the time; Teal Bunbury had the Revolution’s first chance of the game, his header off a Diego Fagundez cross getting tipped over the bar by Dallas’ Jimmy Maurer in the 23rd minute.

Scott Caldwell advanced into the attack to conclude a sequence started by Fagundez and Cristian Penilla in the 43rd minute, but Maurer was equal on a diving stop.

Fagundez shot wide of the far post with a bouncing effort in the 64th minute; Juan Agudelo, who entered at halftime for Caldwell, had two second half shots parried by Maurer as well.

Referee Hilario Grajeda also waved off protests to award a penalty in second half stoppage time as Dallas defender Matt Hedges clipped Krisztian Nemeth from behind in the box.

“We had more than enough chances to score goals tonight, but it was one of those nights that we didn’t,” Friedel said. “I also reviewed [the highlights] of the penalty, and it was a penalty. Sometimes you’re going to be on the good side of those and sometimes on the bad side, but with video review, that was unquestionable.”

Nemeth said after the game that he felt he was fouled, though Grajeda told him VAR was consulted on the play. Chris Tierney, who sits next to Nemeth in the Revolution locker room, confirmed Nemeth’s suspicions.

“We gave everything tonight,” Nemeth said. “In that game, whoever scored first had a big chance to win. And they scored.”




New England Revolution Schedule


New England Revolution Gear




Get Revolution Tickets

More in FC Dallas