With 19 matches crammed into four matchdays, Week 18 was the busiest one yet in the 2019 MLS regular season, with multiple teams playing double games.
That might be great for the fantasy players, but it lent itself to a lot of mixed results for most of the league. A win in the midweek, followed by a loss on the weekend or vice versa. As a result there was little movement in this week’s Pro Soccer USA Power Rankings.
The Portland Timbers played just once, and moved up into the top 10 after beating NYCFC 1-0 at Yankee Stadium Sunday. Minnesota United picked up a pair of wins and they also climbed two rungs to just below the top 10. Meanwhile, in the futility cup, FC Cincinnati climbed out of the basement, replaced by Columbus Crew SC after the expansion side snapped a six-match losing streak.
The Major League Soccer Power Rankings are created by averaging the rankings submitted by a committee of Pro Soccer USA’s editors and writers.
- (1) Los Angeles Football Club (13-2-4, 43 points): After a 5-1 win over Sporting Kansas City, LAFC emphatically avenged one of their two losses on the season, defeating the Vancouver Whitecaps 6-1 Saturday.
- (2) New York City FC (7-2-8, 29 points): A franchise-best unbeaten streak was stretched to 12 games with a 3-0 win over the Seattle Sounders on the midweek before NYCFC suffered a first loss at Yankee Stadium with a 1-0 defeat to the Portland Timbers.
- (4) Philadelphia Union (10-5-6, 36 points): After a 3-1 win in Orlando, the Union rallied to share the points in a 2-2 draw with the Lions back at Talen Energy Stadium.
- (3) Atlanta United (9-7-3, 30 points): The worst loss in franchise history — 5-1 at Chicago — was followed by a wild 3-3 draw with the Red Bulls Sunday at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
- (5) New York Red Bulls (8-7-4, 28 points): Like their rivals to the south, the Red Bulls bounced back from a four-goal road defeat to the Houston Dynamo to draw Atlanta Sunday afternoon.
- (6) Seattle Sounders FC (9-5-5, 32 points): The Sounders bounced back from a 3-0 loss at NYCFC to beat the struggling Crew 2-1 on the road with Nico Lodeiro scoring a brace.
- (7) D.C. United (8-5-7, 31 points): D.C.’s only game this week was a 2-0 loss to FC Dallas as Ben Olsen’s side has won just once in their last eight games.
- (8) San Jose Earthquakes (8-7-4, 28 points): Following a 3-1 loss to Minnesota United, Danny Hoesen came off the bench to score the stoppage-time winner in a 1-0 victory over Real Salt Lake Saturday.
- (9) LA Galaxy (11-7-1, 34 points): Zlatan Ibrahimovic provided the in-game fireworks with a brace as the Galaxy defeated Toronto FC 2-0 on the Fourth of July.
- (12) Portland Timbers (7-8-2, 23 points): The Timbers made it three wins in their last four games with a 1-0 victory over NYCFC at Yankee Stadium. Sebastian Blanco scored the lone goal as the Timbers are 3-0-0 with three 1-0 wins in the Bronx.
- (13) Minnesota United (9-7-3, 30 points): Mason Toye is the hot hand for the Loons. He scored three goals, including a brace Saturday, to guide Minnesota to wins over the Earthquakes and Impact.
- (10) FC Dallas (8-7-5, 29 points): Santiago Mosquera scored six minutes after kickoff and Dominique Badji added an insurance goal in the 65th minute in a 2-0 win over D.C. United.
- (14) Colorado Rapids (5-10-4, 19 points): The Rapids’ seven-match unbeaten streak came to an end with a Fourth of July home loss to the New England Revolution. Diego Rubio scored the lone goal in the 71st minute.
- (15) Real Salt Lake (8-9-2, 26 points): A 1-0 home win over Columbus was followed by a late loss in San Jose by the same scoreline for Mike Petke’s club.
- (16) Houston Dynamo (8-7-3, 27 points): Alberth Elis scored a late brace to power the Dynamo to a 4-0 midweek win over the Red Bulls, but that was followed by a stunning 3-2 loss at FC Cincinnati.
- (11) Montreal Impact (9-9-3, 30 points): After two straight wins, the Impact have dropped two games in a row, falling at home to Minnesota United 3-2 Saturday night.
- (18) New England Revolution (6-8-5, 23 points): The Revs extended an unbeaten streak to seven consecutive games with a 2-1 road win over the Rapids with Teal Bunbury and Juan Fernando Caicedo scoring in each half.
- (17) Orlando City SC (6-9-4, 22 points): It appeared the Lions would split a home-and-home series with the Union after losing at home Wednesday night when Santiago Patino scored the go-ahead goal in Chester Friday. But Kacper Przybylko netted the late equalizer and Orlando were forced to settle for a 2-2 draw.
- (19) Vancouver Whitecaps FC (4-8-8, 20 points): The good news is Yordy Reyna staked the Whitecaps an early lead, but following an Andy Rose own goal, they conceded five more times in a 6-1 loss at LAFC.
- (20) Toronto FC (6-8-5, 23 points): The Reds only game of Week 18 was a 2-0 loss at the LA Galaxy. But the good news is Jozy Altidore and Michael Bradley return from the Gold Cup and the club announced the signings of defender Omar Gonzalez and Venezuelan winger Erickson Gallardo.
- (21) Sporting Kansas City (5-7-7, 22 points): Yohan Croizet scored the lone goal in the 14th minute to lead Sporting Kansas City to a 1-0 win over the Chicago Fire, their second win in their last four after one victory in their previous 11.
- (22) Chicago Fire (5-8-7, 22 points): CJ Sapong struck for a brace as part of a stunning 5-1 rout of Atlanta United. The inconsistent Fire then failed to score in a 1-0 loss to SKC.
- (24) FC Cincinnati (4-13-2, 14 points): For the first time in nearly two months, FC Cincinnati celebrated a win, defeating the Houston Dynamo 3-2 to snap a six-match losing streak.
- (23) Columbus Crew SC (5-13-2, 17 points): The Crew’s futility stretched to eight games without a win as Caleb Porter’s squad dropped their fourth in a row, falling to the Sounders 2-1 at MAPFRE Stadium.
Pro Soccer USA writer Dylan Butler contributed to this report.