The LA Galaxy are set to host Club Tijuana from Liga MX in the inaugural Leagues Cup tournament Tuesday night at 11 p.m. ET at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, Calif. Here’s what you need to know heading into the match:
- This is the first edition of the Leagues Cup tournament, consisting of four teams from MLS (the LA Galaxy, Chicago Fire, Real Salt Lake and Houston Dynamo) and four teams from Liga MX (Club Tijuana, Cruz Azul, Tigres UANL and Club America).
- The tournament is single elimination, with the final on September 18 in Las Vegas. Video Assistant Referee technology will be utilized for the tournament.
- The Galaxy are coming off a 3-2 win over cross-town rival LAFC on Friday night. Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored a hat trick for the victory. The match was very physical, as was expected, so Galaxy players who logged significant minutes in that match may not be able to provide many minutes for this match against Club Tijuana.
- Club Tijuana’s last match was also Friday. They won 3-1 over Puebla FC in Week 1 of Clausura. Tijuana’s goals were scored by Washington Camacho, Ariel Nahuelpan and Angel Sepulveda.
- The 23-man roster for the Galaxy, which is a combination of Galaxy first-team players as well as several additions from Galaxy II, is as follows: Goalkeepers David Bingham, Matthew Lampson, Justin Vom Steeg; defenders Julian Araujo, Nick Depuy, Giancarlo Gonzalez, Tomas Hilliard-Arce, Diego Polenta, David Romney, Jorgen Skjelvik, Diedie Traore; midfielders Efrain Alvarez, Favio Alvarez, Uriel Antuna, Emmanuel Boateng, Servando Carrasco, Joe Corona, Emil Cuello, Jonathan dos Santos, Kai Koreniuk, Don Tchilao; forwards Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Ethan Zubak.
- Club Tijuana’s roster is as follows: Goalkeepers Giran Lajud, Carlos Higuera, Luis Michel;
Defenders: Julian Velasquez, Luis Fuentes, Jordan Silva, Diego Braghieri, Omar Mendoza, Victor Torres; Midfielders: Kevin Balanta, Ignacio Rivero, Washington Camacho, Fernando Arce, Jorge Rojas, Luis Gamiz, Antonio Nava, Leonel Miranda; Forwards: Camilo Sanvezzo, Angel Sepulveda,
Miller Bolaños, Erick Torres, Ivan Lopez, Ariel Nahuelpan.
- The officials for this match are Said Martinez (center, Honduras), Walter Lopez (AR1, Honduras), Helpys Feliz (AR2, Dominican Republic), Drew Fischer (4th, Canada), Leon Vicente Barajas Anzures (VAR, Liga MX) and Kevin Stott (AVAR, MLS).