The LA Galaxy, who recently qualified for the playoffs for the first time since 2016, host the Vancouver Whitecaps during their final home match of the regular season Sunday at 7:30 pm E.T. at Dignity Health Sports Park. Entering the match on a three game win streak, the Galaxy will be looking to close out their remaining home game with a win to improve their place in the Western Conference table. Here’s what you need to know heading into the match:
- The Galaxy currently sit in third place in the Western Conference standings with 51 points and a 16-13-3 overall record, including a 11-4-1 mark at home. With the new MLS playoff structure, finishing in the top four spots in each conference would guarantee at least one home game in the playoffs, which would be beneficial for the Galaxy.
- The Whitecaps have already been eliminated from playoff contention and sit in last place in the Western Conference with a 7-15-10 record and 2-9-5 mark on the road.
- All time against Vancouver the, Galaxy are 11-5-5, with a 8-2-1 record at home. Their last meeting was on April 5 in Vancouver, which ended with a 2-0 victory for LA with goals from defender Daniel Steres and forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
- For the Galaxy, midfielder Romain Alessandrini is still unavailable, according to the latest injury report released by the club, and midfielder Perry Kitchen is listed as questionable. No Galaxy players are suspended for this match, but Vancouver will be without Ali Adnan.
- In their last match, the Galaxy defeated Real Salt Lake 2-1 with goals from midfielder Cristian Pavon and Ibrahimovic. This was the third win in a row for the Galaxy, with their other two wins coming on Sept. 21, with a 2-1 win over Montreal, and on Sept 15, with a 7-2 win over Sporting KC.
- The goal in the RSL match was Ibrahimovic’s 28th of the season, just two goals behind LAFC forward Carlos Vela. Both teams have two more games left in the season, the Galaxy will face Vancouver and then the Houston Dynamo, while LAFC will face Minnesota United and the Colorado Rapids.