The LA Galaxy will travel to play Minnesota United FC at 5 p.m. ET Sunday for the Loons’ final match at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minn. Here are a few things you need to know heading into the match:
- LA must win both remaining regular-season matches for a chance to clinch a playoff spot. The Galaxy are in seventh place in the Western Conference with a 12-11-9 record overall and 4-7-5 on the road.
- Minnesota United FC is already eliminated from the playoffs in ninth place in the Western Conference. The Loons’ record is 11-18-3 overall and 10-5-1 at home.
- This is the second meeting of the season between the Galaxy and the Loons. The first was a frustrating 2-2 draw for the Galaxy, with an 84th-minute equalizer from Ecuadorian forward Romario Ibarra to keep the Galaxy from winning all three points.
- This will be the Loons’ last match at TFC Bank Stadium, as they are awaiting the opening of Allianz Field for the 2019 season. To say goodbye in grand fashion, over 50,000 fans will be in attendance on Sunday.
- Minnesota will be missing some key players due to suspension from a mass confrontation incident in their last match against the Colorado Rapids. Alexi Gomez and Harrison Health will both be unavailable.
- LA Galaxy defenders Michael Ciani and Jorgen Skjelvik, as well as forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic, are all in danger of suspension due to yellow card accumulation if they receive one more yellow card.
- Midfielder Giovani Dos Santos and forward Bradford Jamieson IV are expected to be unavailable for the Galaxy this week. The team also recently announced that Chris Pontius will be unavailable for the remainder of the season.
- Here is a breakdown of all possible playoff scenarios for the Galaxy to be able to qualify.