Two days into preseason training, Minnesota United remains in the market for a starting goalkeeper, but it won’t be Argentina’s Agustin Rossi.
United pursued signing the 23- year-old from his Boca Juniors team in Buenos Aires until domestic-abuse allegations made by a former partner on Facebook in 2016 resurfaced on the internet last week. Wonderwall, the parent organization for the Loons’ supporter groups, posted an online statement that urged the team not to acquire him.
The matter was discussed both in United and MLS offices and the team has turned to other goalkeeper prospects, Star Tribune sources said.
United Sporting Director Manny Lagos said he doesn’t comment on players unsigned or under contract with another club. He did say, “In this situation I would add, though, there’s no doubt that anytime we’re trying to bring a recruited player, both MLS and Minnesota United want to ensure that the values of the club and the league are met. We’ll always work hard to ensure that’s the case.”
United renewed the contract of last season’s starter Bobby Shuttleworth for this season and selected Maryland’s Dayne St. Clair with the seventh pick in this month’s SuperDraft.
- The Loons are expected to announce the signing of right back Romain Metanire soon
- Midfielder Kevin Molino is in Orlando rehabilitating what coach Adrian Heath called a “minor thing with his [right] knee” and will join the team for training in Tucson, Ariz., this weekend. Surgery on a torn left ACL sidelined him for most of last season.
- Veteran midfielder Ethan Finlay declared himself “full go” from last season’s right knee surgery on Tuesday’s second day of training. Heath said he’ll be worked more and more into workouts.
(c)2019 the Star Tribune (Minneapolis)
Visit the Star Tribune (Minneapolis) at www.startribune.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.