Although FC Cincinnati has moved up from the United Soccer League to Major League Soccer, it isn’t severing ties with the second-tier league.
FC Cincinnati is sending goalkeeper Ben Lundt on loan to USL Championship side Louisville City FC for the 2019 season, the club announced Thursday.
Lundt was drafted 37th overall in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft after a standout career at Akron, where he started 64 games and helped the Zips reach the College Cup twice.
“In evaluating the pool of players coming out of college, we thought that Ben was one of, if not the best goalkeeper coming out,” Louisville head coach John Hackworth said in a statement. “With this acquisition we know that we have strengthened our depth at the goalkeeper position.”
Lundt, 23, is a native of Germany. He has also competed at the USL League Two level with Reading United.
“I’ve been in preseason with Cincinnati for two weeks and I’m in good shape,” Lundt said. “Now that I’ve joined Louisville, I’m extremely happy. Louisville is a great club with a lot of success in the past and I want to be part of another successful season.”
- ATL UTD 2 added Henry Apaloo and Ricardo Oliveira to its staff. Apaloo, who comes from the University of South Florida, will be an assistant coach. Oliveira, who was most recently an assistant at Georgia State, will be a fitness coach with ATL UTD 2.
- Fresno FC announced the signing of striker Jaime Chavez for the 2019 season. Chavez, 31, is a native of California and a product of the now-defunct Chivas USA youth academy. He most recently played with the Tampa Bay Rowdies, but has also featured for Miami FC and the Atlanta Silverbacks.
- Fresno FC also announced that it resigned Scottish left back Alex Cooper for the 2019 season. The 27-year-old played in 24 games with the club last season, scoring three goals.
- The Pittsburgh Riverhounds are celebrating their 20th season in 2019 and on Friday announced plans to establish a hall of fame and incorporate a new secondary logo for the upcoming season. The first hall of fame class will be announced at a later date and inducted on July 12.
- The Pittsburgh Riverhounds also announced the signing of forward Christian Volesky. The deal for the 26-year-old is for the 2019 season, but also has an option for 2020. Volesky has spent his entire career in the USL, playing for the Rochester Rhinos, OKC Energy FC and Saint Louis FC. In 123 appearances, he has 39 goals and 10 assists.
Welcome to Pittsburgh, Christian Volesky! 👋 pic.twitter.com/ImJIVYsoyE
— Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC (@RiverhoundsSC) February 7, 2019
- FC Tucson announced the signing of defender Gilbert Oord for the 2019 season on Wednesday. A native of the Netherlands, the 21-year-old played with a club in Amsterdam last season.